(Evangelyn Rodriguez) In this article, a researcher from India discussed the beneficial effects of curcumin from Curcuma longa (turmeric) that have been reported by several studies. This review was published in the International Journal of Herbal Medicine.
by Evangelyn Rodriguez, January 12th, 2021
- Curcumin is a phenolic compound found in the roots of C. longa, a medicinal plant that belongs to the Zingiberaceae, or ginger, family.
- Curcumin, along with two other curcuminoids — demethoxycurcumin and bis-demethoxycurcumin — is responsible for turmeric’s yellow color.
- Curcumin exhibits a wide variety of beneficial effects on human health, and its biological activities are said to be helpful in preventing certain diseases.
- Plant-derived chemicals like curcumin have attracted considerable interest recently because of their pharmacological properties.
- Some of the widely reported properties of curcumin include anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, neuroprotective, cardioprotective, anti-diabetic and anti-cancer activities.
- Curcumin is believed to exert its beneficial effects by modulating the activities of several important molecular targets, such as transcription factors, growth factors, cytokines and cell cycle proteins.
- Extensive epidemiological, clinical and animal studies have elucidated many of the molecular mechanisms underlying curcumin’s biological effects.
Because of their medicinal properties, the researcher supports the use of natural products like curcumin either as a pure compound or an extract in pharmaceutical preparations.
Stillness in the Storm Editor: Why did we post this?
The news is important to all people because it is where we come to know new things about the world, which leads to the development of more life goals that lead to life wisdom. The news also serves as a social connection tool, as we tend to relate to those who know about and believe the things we do. With the power of an open truth-seeking mind in hand, the individual can grow wise and the collective can prosper.
Not sure how to make sense of this? Want to learn how to discern like a pro? Read this essential guide to discernment, analysis of claims, and understanding the truth in a world of deception: 4 Key Steps of Discernment – Advanced Truth-Seeking Tools.
Stillness in the Storm Editor’s note: Did you find a spelling error or grammatical mistake? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the error and suggested correction, along with the headline and url. Do you think this article needs an update? Or do you just have some feedback? Send us an email at email@example.com. Thank you for reading.
We couldn’t do it without you.
Please make a donation so we can keep giving you the news and information they don’t want you to see.