(Evangelyn Rodriguez) In this study, a researcher at Government Degree College, Khairatabad in India investigated the anti-cancer activity of plant suspension cultures of Ocimum sanctum (holy basil) against lung cancer. Key findings were published in the International Journal of Green Pharmacy.
by Evangelyn Rodriguez, June 29th, 2020
- Ethanol, acetone and aqueous leaf extracts of O. sanctum were used to treat human lung cancer (A549) cells. Their in vitro anti-cancer activity was evaluated using MTT assay and trypan blue dye exclusion assay.
- The former is based on the capacity of mitochondrial enzymes of viable cells to reduce MTT, a yellow soluble salt, to purple-blue insoluble formazan precipitate. This is quantified using a spectrophotometer at 570 nm.
- The latter, meanwhile, is based on cell staining and is used to quantify the number of viable cells present in a cell suspension.
- Cells are then counted using a hemocytometer under a microscope, where non-viable cells will be stained blue and viable cells will remain unstained.
- The researchers reported that the aqueous leaf extract of O. sanctum did not show anti-cancer activity, but its acetone and ethanol leaf extracts did.
- The acetone leaf extracts displayed the highest anti-cancer activity against human cancer cells at a concentration of 40 to 50 mcg/mL.
Based on these findings, the researchers concluded that O. sanctum acetone and ethanol leaf extracts have anti-cancer properties and can be used against lung cancer.
Yadavalli V. EVALUATION OF ANTICANCER COMPOUNDS FROM SUSPENSION CULTURES OF HOLY BASIL (OCIMUM SANCTUM L.). International Journal of Green Pharmacy. 2019;13(2):98. DOI: 10.22377/ijgp.v13i2.2487
Stillness in the Storm Editor: Why did we post this?
The news is important to all people because it is where we come to know new things about the world, which leads to the development of more life goals that lead to life wisdom. The news also serves as a social connection tool, as we tend to relate to those who know about and believe the things we do. With the power of an open truth-seeking mind in hand, the individual can grow wise and the collective can prosper.
Not sure how to make sense of this? Want to learn how to discern like a pro? Read this essential guide to discernment, analysis of claims, and understanding the truth in a world of deception: 4 Key Steps of Discernment – Advanced Truth-Seeking Tools.
Stillness in the Storm Editor’s note: Did you find a spelling error or grammatical mistake? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the error and suggested correction, along with the headline and url. Do you think this article needs an update? Or do you just have some feedback? Send us an email at email@example.com. Thank you for reading.