by Jeremy McDonald, October 12th 2016
Ralph Waldo Emerson was a leader for the Transcendentalist movement of the mid-19th century; it’s important for us to go back and look at these classic philosophers writings. You may not agree with their way of thinking and just reading them allows us to search for our own meaning in life.
One powerful writing of Ralph Waldo Emerson is titled: The Over-Soul ; which is worth the read to understand his beliefs in how the soul, mind, spirit and body are connected to the cosmos, God and others.
We are in a great time of change in the world and now more then ever it’s important to empower yourself with knowledge, inspiration, practice and truth.
Love you all! enjoy the quotes below and I encourage you to read them and ponder them for a moment asking yourself what they mean to you and how do the effect you physically, mentally and spiritually.
- The purpose of life seems to be to acquaint a man with himself and whatever science or art or course of action he engages in reacts upon and illuminates the recesses of his own mind. Thus friends seem to be only mirrors to draw out and explain to us ourselves; and that which draws us nearer our fellow man, is, that the deep Heart in one, answers the deep Heart in another, — that we find we have (a common Nature) — one life which runs through all individuals, and which is indeed Divine. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them.- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- The only reward of virtue is virtue; the only way to have a friend is to be one. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- The highest compact we can make with our fellow is, — ‘Let there be truth between us two forever more.’ – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- A political victory, a rise in rents, the recovery of your sick, or return of your absent friend, or some other quite external event, raises your spirits, and you think good days are preparing for you. Do not believe it. Nothing can bring you peace but yourself. Nothing can bring you peace but the triumph of principles. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- He who is not everyday conquering some fear has not learned the secret of life. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- He is rich who owns the day, and no one owns the day who allows it to be invaded with fret and anxiety. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
About The Author
Jeremy McDonald has had a deep passion for human dynamics and has spent his adult life studying concepts of healing, mindfulness, consciousness and many other subjects. He was formally trained in Adult Learning Theories and has worked as a Corporate Trainer for a number of years. He has also been a public speaker for the past 20 years helping others find their full potential. He strives to be the constant student realizing life is only happening to it’s fullest when we are expanding our growth and knowledge. We are all teachers and students and this relationship is a flow between the two. Follow him on – Facebook: @JeremyMcDonaldLLG, Twitter: @Lamplightgroup.
Stillness in the Storm Editor’s note: Did you find a spelling error or grammar mistake? Do you think this article needs a correction or update? Or do you just have some feedback? Send us an email at [email protected]. Thank you for reading.